Sunday, October 21, 2007

monologue vs. dialogue!


last few days was more than enough to prove my old theory:

we, glorous generation from IRAN, love monologue vs. damn dialogue!!!
listening is a taboo and speaking is our expertise!

days back in 2000, while i was preparing my master thesis in civil (structural) engineering, my grandmother explained me how strong and good the steel structure was at the neighbor's! when i said "no dear grandma, it is the shittiest structural framing i have ever seen" she replied confidently "u dont know baby, i see them everyday welding!"

a few days ago, reunion of fanni alumni for university of tehran students was held in toronto. believe me about 3 hrs, the only issue discussed was a proposed name for this association. a lot of comments were presented and it went on and on just bcuz nobody was truly listening to what mr. x or z is saying! the only thing in some attendant's minds was "after ur speech mr. x or y, be advised, i am the guy who forces people to follow my monologue not u!"
i was at a restaurant a few nites ago with my lovely friends whom i sincerely respect and love them all. a conversation started re: construction in canada and iran in terms of budgeting and construction time schedules...all of a sudden, i found myself in middle of a discussion which was going nowhere! i told myself, hosh pamak, u got ur professional engineer license, ur M.A.Sc. in civil engineering, u have been working in construction more than a decade in both iran and canada and lately u got ur real estate license...why dont u just shut up when there is no gain for u to discuss! if they insist they know vth, let them talk just listen smoothly as usual ...if they dont want to listen, let them talk!

wise people listen twice as they speak! that is why god created two ears vs. one big mouth!

my mentor was used to telling me how rude would be to prepare ur words in ur mind to attack ur dialoguer instead of listening while he/she is talking!

cheers,


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought Iranian people like as you said.But I see all most of us are the same.

Anonymous said...

Derakht har che por bar tar....oftadeh tar!!